The Dumb Little Man had one of his brilliant moments and created a list of 30 Easy Was to Save Money and he claims we aren’t doing all of them. So I looked through the list and here’s part of what I found:
Things we already do:
- Cook at home often
- Brown bag lunch at least a few days a week
- Make a list before going shopping – you have to actually stick to the list, which we do sometimes!
- Watch out for expiration dates on perishable goods
- Consolidate and pay off debt as soon as possible
- Pay your bills on time and avoid late fees
- Be aware of your bank balance and avoid over draft fees
- Avoid ATM fees
- Avoid credit cards with annual fee
- Disconnect land line if possible
- Buy in bulk whenever possible
- Buy generic products whenever possible
- If you have to buy books, check if you can buy it used – Amazon!
- Price check before buying anything expensive
- Avoid the vending machines
- Keep your car as long as possible
- Do regular scheduled maintenance on your vehicles
- Avoid buying a new car
- Ride your bike or carpool whenever possible – taking the bus, its free with work!
- If you like watching movies at the theater, go before 6:00 pm – we do discount theaters
- Regulate your electric use.
Things we need to work on:
- Go grocery shopping while you are in a hurry
- Avoid impulse buying
- Bottle your own water
Things that won’t happen:
- Make your own coffee
- Use grocery store bags to line trash cans
- Instead of buying books, borrow books from the library
- If you watch a lot of DVDs, get an online DVD store membership – we don’t watch a lot!
- Plan vacations ahead of time
- Finally, keep distance from lavish, high-roller friends – we don’t really have any of these!